As you may know by now, exercise is crucial for overall health.
But when you’re trying to lose weight too …
It becomes even more important.
So, if you want to create your own weight loss workout routine, but don’t know where to start, you can inspire from these ten best exercises to lose weight.
Each one doubles as a strength move that gets your heart rate up while working on functional movement skills too.
What does that mean?
It means they’ll protect you from getting injured and help you do your daily tasks efficiently and more comfortably (while burning calories and building lean muscle).
So, if you’re looking for a workout routine that shows you how to lose weight fast for women and want to discover the best exercises to lose weight, then this is your go-to article.
Exercises For Weight Loss #1: Forward Lunge
Forward Lunge is one of the best exercises for weight loss. To perform this exercise, you’ll need a pair of free weights or kettlebells.
How do you perform it?
- Stand tall with feet hip-width apart. Put hands on hips or hold weight by sides to start.
- Take a controlled step forward with the right or left leg. Keep your spine tall and lower your body until the front and back leg form a 90-degree angle.
- Pause for a bit, then step the leg that did the movement back to start. After that, step the opposite leg forward to repeat on the other side.
You can do three sets of 10 reps to reap the maximum benefits out of this weight loss exercise at home.
So you know, there are many variations to the lunge, but the forward lunge is one of the most effective for weight loss because it works multiple muscles at once — muscles like glutes, quads, and hamstrings.
Exercises For Weight Loss #2: Burpees
Or one of the best fat burning exercises that you can try at home.
It’s quite simple to do, and you don’t need any additional equipment to perform burpees.
- Stand with both feet shoulder-width apart and arms at your sides. Push your hips back, bend your knees, and touch palms to the ground to lower into a crouch.
Rapidly lower back into a squat for the next rep.
You can repeat 8 to 12 times and complete three sets.
- Put both hands shoulder-width on the floor directly in front of feet, and shift your weight to them to bounce back and land softly in a plank position.
- Jump your feet forward to land just outside of hands. Jump explosively into the air, reach hands overhead, or leave them by sides.
The burpee is one of the best exercises for weight loss because it effectively targets your core, chest, and legs simultaneously. It makes you feel the burn in most of your muscles, preparing you for building lots of lean muscle.
Exercises For Weight Loss #3: Explosive Lunge
So, I’ve already shown you above the classic forward lunge …
But now it’s time to spice things up a little bit with one of the best fat burning exercises — the explosive lunge.
- Start with feet together and hands on your hips. Step forward with the right leg and lower into a lunge, so your right knee bends at a 90-degree angle.
- Jump up, and switch your legs midair.
- Land softly with the leg forward, rapidly lowering into a lunge.
You can perform this weight loss exercise at home 8-12 times for three sets.
Exercises For Weight Loss #4: Squat
Also known as the queen of compound movements, the squat is one of the best exercises for weight loss (if not the best).
How do you perform it?
- Start with feet hip-width apart, and with both arms at sides while holding weights or clasped in front of the chest.
- Keep your weight in heels and back straight. Sit your hips back and bend the knees to lower into a squat until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Always keep your knees in line with toes and maintain an equal pace before you rise back to start.
You can do this weight loss exercise at home by performing three sets divided into 15 reps.
So you know, squats are one of the best exercises to lose weight and can help you build overall strength too.
But you always have to make sure you do them correctly!
Exercises For Weight Loss #5: Double Jump
One of the best fat burning exercises you can try at home is the double jump.
How do you do it?
- Place your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart and start lowering into a deep squat.
- Rise up as if you would jump, but land in a lunge position with your right leg back.
- Use momentum to jump from the lunge position back to a squat. Repeat this movement, landing in a lunge on the opposite side.
You can practice this weight loss exercise at home for two sets of 45 seconds each.
Tips and tricks: Take your regular squats up a notch by adding a jump and lunge. This movement will increase your heart rate, giving you an intense burn in your abs, butt, and legs.
Related: At Home Workouts For Women: Home Workouts To Lose Weight
Exercises For Weight Loss #6: Mountain Climbers
One of the best exercises for weight loss is the mountain climber.
- Start in a plank position on the floor. Drive your right knee towards your chest without lifting your hips or allowing the right foot to touch the floor.
- Put your right foot back in plank and repeat on the other side, driving the left knee in toward chest. Repeat the movement, alternating legs.
You can do this exercise for three sets divided into 1 minute each.
So you know, the mountain climber is one of the best fat burning exercises as the quick leg motion targets your obliques, butt, and hamstrings.
Related: Yoga Burn Challenge Review: Is Yoga Good For Fat Burning?
Exercises For Weight Loss #7: Jump Rope
How do you perform a jump rope?
- Start with feet together, hand-holding ends of the jump rope, elbows in toward ribs. Swing the jump rope and step or hop both feet over. Don’t jump in between, just jump with each swing of the rope.
Jump rope is one of the best exercises to lose weight, and you can perform it for three sets of 1 minute each.
Jump rope tips: This exercise is a great total-body exercise for weight loss. Completing a full minute of jumping is harder than you might think.
You should always check the length of your jump rope by holding it in each hand while making sure the handles line up with the shoulders.
Related: Keto Diet For Weight Loss: How To Use Ketogenic Diet For Losing Weight
Exercise For Weight Loss #8: Bodyweight Balance
This one’s harder than you might think …
But it’s fun too.
You see, the bodyweight balance is a great weight loss exercise at home, especially if you want to work the stabilizer muscles too.
How do you do this exercise?
- Start standing with both feet together, and the right leg lifted so your right toes just tap the floor.
- Bend and touch your left knee with the right hand. Squeeze your glutes and keep the core engaged to stand and return to start.
You can do this exercise for three sets of 10 reps per side.
Exercise For Weight Loss #9: Kettlebell Swing
Another great fat burning exercise that helps you lose weight is the kettlebell swing.
How do you do it?
- Start with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart and a kettlebell slightly in front of feet. Take the kettlebell handle with both hands. Always keep your back straight, and hinge at the hips to hike the kettlebell backward between legs.
- Press your hips forward to stand and swing the kettlebells overhead while you keep the core engaged. Allow the kettlebell to fall forward and between legs to start the next swing.
You can do this exercise for three sets of 15 reps.
Thankfully, kettlebells are very effective for weight loss because they engage your entire body. More than that, they’re low impact but high intensity, leading to an intense calorie burn.
So, if you’re not ready for an overhead swing, stop the bell at shoulder height and let it turn back down between legs.
Related: 14 Best Foods For Weight Loss: What Foods To Eat To Lose Weight?
Exercise For Weight Loss #10: Tabata Drill
The list ends with one of the best exercises to lose weight …
And that is the Tabata drill.
How do you perform it?
- Start with a light dumbbell in each hand, racked at your shoulders, standing with both feet shoulder-width apart.
- Jump your feet out wide and jack both dumbbells straight up overhead until your arms are fully extended. Continue with this effort for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, and dumbbells at chest. Start jabbing the dumbbells across the body, alternating sides.
- Continue with this effort for 20 seconds, then rest for another 10. Repeat both exercises for 8 rounds in total.
So, how to lose weight fast for women?
By practicing these ten fat burning exercises that I mentioned above.
If you want to discover more at home exercises and get a complete workout routine and meal plan, I highly suggest you Bikini Body Workouts program by Jen Ferrugia.
This program is your how-to manual and step-by-step guide to help you achieve your body goals and ideal weight.
Read here my full review article of Bikini Body Workouts and decide whether this program is for you or not.
Another two excellent weight loss programs are The Flat Belly Fix (read here my review) and Cinderella Solution (read here my review). Both of them have great at home exercises and meal plans that will help you achieve your desired body weight and fitness goals.